Dilinger's

Thu Dec 9 19:35:02 UTC 2010

it seems to me that the problem is not a matter of syntax but of punctuation. Placing a comma before and after the relative clause would identify it as nonrestrictive. No confusion would be likely. The "the" would also assist in indicating that "restaurant" was not new information.

Neal wrote:

The journalistic squeezing in of additional information in the wrong place
gave me trouble in interpreting an anaphoric relation in this sentence:

"Dillinger's sometimes hands out fliers at Broad and High streets reminding
people [that] the restaurant on the 16th floor of the LeVeque Tower has a
patio just for smokers."

Dillinger's and the restaurant on the 16th floor are the same entity.
Instead of just saying "it", the writer tried to use a more elaborate
anaphoric device that didn't work.