Q: "scrug", a noun from circa 1676?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Dec 11 23:08:11 UTC 2010

The latest news:  Not "scrug" at all.  Putting the containing verses
into modern spelling, it reads:

[i]n this our great Adversity
[le]t us Consider what may be
[th]e Case our glorious angry god
[so] heavy on us Lays his rod

[s]ure we our Errand have forgot
[that] makes us feel the heathens' shot
[fo]r not a scurg god's raised to be
[thu]s equals our Cruelty:

Thus "scurge" -- presumably "scourge" -- of god, not "a scrug" (or
"scrog", quarrel, dispute) that the English are in with the
Indians.  Goes along with the "rod" of the previous verse.

This is from Captain Perse & his Coragios Company", by Philip Walker,
ed. with intro. by Diane Bornstein; in Proceedings of the American
Antiquarian Society, April 18, 1973--October 17, 1973, Vol. 83 (1974), page 87.

(The eminent historian of 17th-century New England presumably
transcribed it incorrectly, or let it be misprinted.  And although
the *AAS transcriber* might have transcribed it incorrectly, I think
"scurg[e]" is much more likely than "scrug".  Ah well.)

Joel