_Splib_ redux

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 13 16:02:37 UTC 2010

Wilson's flypaper memory does it again. HDAS could trace "splib" only to
1966, with no indication that it was likely to be much older.

Origin unknown, natch, but Herbert Simmons's 1962 novel, _Man Walking on
Eggshells_ (set in St. Louis) has the unique "splibbed" meaning "stoned."

In fact, Simmons also says, "They started calling him Splib because he
stayed laid [i.e., high] all the time."  The novel, by an African-American
author, is set in St. Louis.

I don't even try to figure these things out any more.

JL