stop loss

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 14 00:50:59 UTC 2010

A very-common, ironic graffito, back in the day:

"Yes, Virginia, there *is* an ETS!"

the reference being to the fact that one's term of enlistment could be
extended "at the convenience of the United States Army."

It was also possible to extend one's enlistment voluntarily, in order
to obtain some imagined benefit. A buddy who absolutely *hated* being
a member of the Berlin Brigade requested transfer to Viet-Nam, as it
was still spelled, in those days. But, he was too "short" - his ETS
was fast approaching. So, he voluntarily extended his term of active
duty, but, after it was too late, it was discovered that it was not
convenient for the United States Army to grant his request for a
change of station at this time. He therefore found himself spending a
year-and-a-half longer in the Berlin Brigade than he would have had
to, if he hadn't voluntarily extended.

"NEVER volunteer!"

Everyone says it, but nobody listens. I, too, hated Berlin. So, how
did I happen to get stationed there? Why, I volunteered, of course!
Sixty years later, I *still* consider that decision to have been one
the stupidest that I have ever made in my life. <sob!>

--
-Wilson
–––

Once that we recognize that we do not err out of laziness, stupidity,
or evil intent, we can uncumber ourselves of the impossible burden of
trying to be permanently right. We can take seriously the proposition
that we could be in error, without necessarily deeming ourselves
idiotic or unworthy.
–Kathryn Schulz