kettling

Lynne Murphy m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Tue Dec 14 10:10:08 UTC 2010

Have you seen this, on the use of the cognate in German?
<http://transblawg.eu/index.php?/archives/3452-kettleeinkesseln.html>

Lynne

--On Monday, December 13, 2010 11:03 +0000 Michael Quinion
<wordseditor at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG> wrote:

> Paul Frank wrote:
>
>> The crowd-control tactic of "kettling," which is on the front pages of
>> British newspapers this week, is not in the OED. Or at least I don't see
>> it there. I first came across this word in 2009, in connection with the
>> G20 protests in London.
>
> I discussed this briefly in the World Wide Wors newsletter at the time of
> the G20 protests in London in 2004. Nobody then seemed to have a good idea
> where the name comes from and, as far as I can discover, still don't. I'd
> be delighted to be corrected on this!
>
> --
> Michael Quinion
> Editor, World Wide Words
> Web: http://www.worldwidewords.org

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Senior Lecturer in Linguistics
Director of English Language and Linguistics
School of English
Arts B348
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QN