kettling

Paul Frank paulfrank at POST.HARVARD.EDU
Tue Dec 14 11:34:06 UTC 2010

In German, the verb "einkesseln" has been around for quite some time.
The eight-volume Duden (2nd edition, 1993) defines it as "völlig
einschliessen" (to surround and enclose completely) and explains that it
is mainly used in military contexts. The first citation is from 1973.
But anyone who has read German accounts of the Battle of Stalingrad
knows that the word was already in use in 1943. Grimm's Deutsches
Wörterbuch (1838-1961) defines the noun Kessel as "bei jagden der rings
geschlossene platz, wohin das wild getrieben wird" (roughly: encircled
place where the wild game is driven during the hunt). My uneducated
guess is that that is where the military meaning comes from in German.

Lynne, now I'm confused: am I supposed to put my replies above or below
the post I'm replying to?

Paul