antedating scampi (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Dec 14 18:28:19 UTC 2010

Of course in our culture "scampi" has come to
usually designate not the variety of seafood
itself, but a prominent mode of its preparation.
I had "Mussels scampi" Sunday night in New York.
Further, "scampi" in such contexts isn't
interpreted the way "fish-cooked eggplant" (i.e.
eggplant cooked in the style of fish, in Chinese
cooking) is.  Rather, "scampi" seems to mean
basically baked or sauteed with garlic, olive
oil, parsley, and bread crumbs.  I don't know if
the meaning transfer or "adequation" [Gustav
Stern, 1931] can be dated.  (It's a bit like what
happened with "chili", as we discussed in a
distant thread.)  Let's see if the OED
tries...No, the closest they come is:

2a. (A dish of) these prawns eaten as a delicacy,
usu. coated with breadcrumbs and fried in oil, or
boiled and served with (garlic) sauce.

But the key shift is for "scampi" at least in the
U.S. to denote that preparation itself rather
than the prawns cooked that way.

LH