antedating scampi

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Dec 14 21:46:55 UTC 2010

Boy is the OED behind the times!  (2nd ed.)  Not
just date, but also definitions.  For the "fishy"
definition, which was what I was interested in --
did it = shrimp, as I wondered? -- the answer
depends on what a Dublin prawn, aka Noway
lobster, is -- and it is dated from 1928. (The
other definition is the preparation, dated from 1930.)

Joel