alphabet soup

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 16 14:45:47 UTC 2010

But, Jon! Your New Deal experience is so recent!

Seriously, I do see something novel in Paul's example. I am used (over
the past 25 years only) to the expression implying an assortment of
initialisms. So one may talk about an alphabet soup of UN
sub-organizations, for example. But these example do not appear to be
restricted to initialisms (aside from BMW)--they include a multitude of
diverse names, but these names may be quite well formed. FWIW, the
initialism "alphabet soup" is still in use. And, I am sure, Wilson could
vouch for its existence in his army years. Not sure if Tom Lehrer's The
Elements qualifies as an Alphabet Soup song, but it might, under the new
standards.

     VS-)