"fighting through inadversity"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Dec 20 16:00:08 UTC 2010

At 10:34 AM -0500 12/20/10, Ronald Butters wrote:
>Larry, are you nominating this for "Least-Likely-to-Succeed
>Word-of-the-Year" or "Most Prominent Surfacing of Linguistic Dark
>Matter"?

It's too unlikely to succeed even for that category.  But not unique.
Besides the reference to "a family's inadversity", Google Books turns
up a couple more (ignoring typos for "in adversity"), including:

"In tort law, the reasonableness standard is used indeed to define a
minimum of acceptable conduct regarding an individual's adversity or
inadversity to risk taking."
(Leo Katz et al., _Foundations of Criminal Law_) This is presumably a
reworking of "aversity/inaversity")

A puzzling comment in Jonathon Lazear's _Meditations for Men who Do
Too Much_ (1992) observes that
"We can learn from adversity as well as through inadversity."
(So "inadversity" here = prosperity?)

But my favorite is an entry in Alfred Bryant's _English-Zulu
Dictionary_ (1986), which fills a much-needed gap by informing us
that the Zulu word for inadversity is ukuPhambeka.  So if Belichick
leaves the Pats for a stint with the Durban Dental Clicks, he'll know
how to refer to his team's fighting over inadversity...er,
ukuPhambeka.

LH