"information is the currency of democracy"

Wed Dec 22 05:43:42 UTC 2010

The Monticello website has the quotation listed in the "Spurious
Quotes" section:

http://www.monticello.org/site/research-and-collections/spurious-quotes

Some more random quotes that we do not believe are genuine: ...
   "Information is the currency of democracy."

The Jefferson Encyclopedia (also part of Monticello.org) has an entry
for the quotation

http://wiki.monticello.org/mediawiki/index.php/Information_is_the_currency_of_democracy_%28Quotation%29

Quotation: "Information is the currency of democracy."

Variations:

   1. "Information is the currency of democracies."

(skip ...)

Earliest known appearance in print: 1971[1][2]

Other attributions: Ralph Nader

ever said or wrote, "Information is the currency of democracy."

Comments: The earliest known attribution to Thomas Jefferson (in
print) is 1991,[3] although this may have happened earlier. Print
sources more commonly attribute this quotation to Ralph Nader.

Footnotes

   1. Proc. Annual Newspaper Guild Convention (s.n., 1971), 8.
   2. To establish the earliest appearance of this phrase in print,
the following sources were searched for the phrase, "information is
the currency of democracy": Google Books, Google Scholar, Amazon.com,
Internet Archive, America's Historical Newspapers, American Broadsides
and Ephemera Series I, Early American Imprints Series I and II, Early
English Books Online, Eighteenth Century Collections Online, 19th
Century U.S. Newspapers, American Periodicals Series Online, JSTOR.
   3. United States General Accounting Office, U.S. Communications
Policy: Issues for the 1990s: Panelists' Remarks (Washington, D.C.:
U.S. General Accounting Office, 1991), 146.