handcrafted

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 27 18:34:44 UTC 2010

A word's meaning is what one is fully justified in believing when the word
is encountered.  In many cases all that is "fully justified" may  not be
entirely clear. In the case of adspeak "handcrafted," however, there is no
justification for the reader or hearer to assume that the product is made by
the direct action of the hands of actual craftspeople. Like "natural," and
some other terms, "handcrafted" in current use is routinely used more for
its favorable connotations than for its informativeness.

I'd say that - at most - the recent usage conveys a concern that the product
be regarded as of high quality and careful manufacture.

JL