handcrafted

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 27 21:36:48 UTC 2010

If we are talking about fragrances, both sentences make a lot of
sense, but do not mean the same thing.

I would expect something "handcrafted from the world's most luxurious
materials" to have been made, produced, manufactured by hand.

A fragrance "handcrafted by the world's top-flight designers" will
have a formula developed from the personal taste of individuals who
are considered leading professionals. Nothing is necessarily being
promised, however, about the quality of manufacture, unless it is
mentioned.

Here's an example:
http://hawaiiandays.com/AJI/shop.htm
"Buy this set of five classic handcrafted Hawaiian Ajith perfumes..."

Elsewhere it says, "Ajith has done it again! Our treasured master
aroma therapist and parfumier, Ajith, has created 'Anjali,' (named
after his beloved daughter) a fresh, lushly-youthful island
fragrance..."

DanG