a gay

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Dec 29 16:47:41 UTC 2010

I may have reported on this list some years ago my surprising discovery that the monosyllabic singular noun "Jew" is sometimes found to be offensive (by Jewish students and others).

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of geoffrey nunberg [nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU]

I posted on this in the Linguist List back in 1992.

http://linguistlist.org/issues/3/3-855.html

 Note that this affects both 'gay' and 'black', both of them group terms derived from monosyllabic adjectives. "He was sitting next to a black" is as suggestive of a disparaging attitude as "We have a gay living next door" is. Also, this isn't a matter of sg/pl but of specificity. "There are two gays (blacks) on the commitee" produces the effect, whereas "There are no gays (blacks) on the committee" doesn't, nor does the kind-denoting bare plural: "Gays (blacks) have been supportive of the policy" -- cf also "some gays/blacks," "many gays/blacks" etc.

The effect seems to be pretty robust when I check with other speakers, but I'm at a loss as to why things should fall out this way.

Geoff