"refudiate" (v.) repudiate (adj,)

Federico Escobar federicoescobarcordoba at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 30 13:41:45 UTC 2010

Taking up "finger failure" again, back in March there were popular "fat
finger errors". Here's Ben Zimmer in a piece in the Visual Thesaurus:

***

Fat-finger compound phrases, alluding to errors on a keyboard or keypad, go
back at least twenty years. Such compounds can refer to intentionally
mispunched keys, as in this line from a March 31, 1990 article in The Dallas
Morning News: "Your college's phone bill has skyrocketed, because of student
hackers using the 'fat-finger' method of pounding out a combination of phone
codes to place unauthorized long-distance calls." And on his Wordspy
website, Paul McFedries defines fat-finger dialing as "a telephone scam in
which a company sets up a toll number that is one digit different than a
popular number, so that the company earns money when customers accidentally
mis-dial the legitimate number."

Previous market mishaps have been blamed on fat-finger errors, including a
notorious trade on the Tokyo Stock Exchange in 2005. The incident brought to
light so-called fat-finger syndrome, defined by The Guardian as "the
occasional tendency of stressed traders working in fast-moving electronic
financial markets to press the wrong button on their keyboard and, in the
process, lose their employer a mint." Such are the new pitfalls in the era
of the quants

***

Here's the link to that piece:
http://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/wordroutes/2281/