Jock = a Scotsman, 1587 (antedates OED 1788-?)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 1 03:56:11 UTC 2010

Shaould we distinguish between two uses of these generic names?  First as a
nickname applied (with varying levels of disdain and provocation) to an
unknown individual: "Tell me, Paddy,...." Then as a generic term for the
entire group, with plurals possible and in most cases common: "A crowd of
Paddies...."

Grose doesn't seem to make this distinction concerning "Jock," but Grose
wasn't a diachronic grammarian.  My impression is that "Jock" was not often
pluralized till WWI, when it was applied especially to members of Highland
regiments.

Microlinguistics. For a better Yesterday.

JL