arsenal = collection = store

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 3 14:52:57 UTC 2010

By chance, I find this at a movie review site on the Web:

"War - what is it good for?  An arsenal of phenomenal movies, that's for
sure."

Obviously a figurative use of a word whose meaning the writer is aware of
(though I do find the metaphor a bit strained).

But figurative or not, the meaning is still reducible to "store or supply."
Many denotational changes get started through such figurative uses, not that
I can think of any off hand.

This, which I Googled for, is not so figurative:

"Niki D'Andrea adds Twitterjacking to her arsenal of cluelessness."

JL