historical-present tense for literature

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Fri Feb 5 05:30:00 UTC 2010

I learned about the "literary present" (good term for it) as a junior in
high school, which would be 1979-80. So it had to have been well established
by then to filter down to that level.

OTOH, one of my continuing editorial jobs is reviewing and editing
high-school English lesson plans and these plans usually use the past tense.
The plans are (presumably) written by teachers, possibly by grad students.
So it appears that the practice is all that well established, at least not
anymore. On the occasions that I do find a lesson plan that references the
plot in the present tense, I can predict that I will find very little wrong
with the rest of the plan.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 7:21 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: historical-present tense for literature

That was certainly the explanation offered to us, if not in high school then
in freshman comp in college.  In literature (which should include drama and
cinema except for fanatics who may require a new inclusive term), the action
is "always" happening in the spooky mystical timeless way that it does.

I've always called it the historical present, but perhaps the "literary
present" is more precise.

But I wonder how and just when the style caught on. (It was so well
entrenched by the  '70s that we cynical grad students in English would roll
our eyes in disbelief when naive freshmen - most all of them, actually -
used the past tense.)   I'll read a few more reviews.

JL

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:21 PM, Alison Murie <sagehen7470 at att.net> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Alison Murie <sagehen7470 at ATT.NET>
> Subject:      Re: historical-present tense for literature

---

> On Feb 4, 2010, at 2:23 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      historical-present tense for literature

---