OT: 'coons

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Feb 5 16:49:15 UTC 2010

Two 'coon stories from the wilds of Arlington, Mass., the second
suburb out from Boston (if you follow Percy's path over the Neck and
onto the "Road to Menotomy").  From the late '80s.

1)   One dark night I was returning from a trip out of town.  Driving
past the front yard toward the garage, I saw some shadows moving on
the lawn.  After parking, I got a flashlight and went out, to shine
the beam on an adult and two or three young 'uns.  The adult turned
around, looked at me disdainfully, and then waddled slowly off with
the brood under the hedge and into the street.  I did not follow.

2)   It was a dark and stormy night when I awoke to hear some
rattling sounds from a bedroom window that faced out over the porch
roof.  I raised the window shade to find a raccoon staring in at
me.  He was not startled.

Joel