Q: "jag" (n) & "dun" (n), 1930

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Feb 6 22:08:52 UTC 2010

Yes, I'd forgotten "jag" = 'drunken spree' or similar -- and I hadn't
found it in the OED.  This would mean "carried" in the quote is used
both literally and figuratively (as the implied verb).

As for "dun", the 'letter from a bill collector' (for the price of
the ring) is plausible, but I didn't imagine the groom carrying it to
the wedding ceremony in his pocket together with a knife and the ring.

Joel