verbing the noun

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Feb 7 14:57:37 UTC 2010

As an instance of verbing a noun (in the manner of "podiuming" as
discussed in Ben's column in today's On Language
(http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/magazine/07FOB-onlanguage-t.html)
rather than of "verbing the noun" as in Randy's post, there's a photo
in the Times Travel Section for a piece on the great cuisine of
Houston that depicts, according to the caption, "Bryan Caswell,
co-owner of Reef, plating ambjerjack, a white-fleshed fish, with long
beans, plantains, and a pomegranate jus."  Of course totally
interpretable in context, but (unlike batters who "plate", i.e. drive
in, runs in a baseball game) this one is new to me.  I see both the
culinary and baseball senses are in the OED (the former, though,
usually as "plate(d) up"), along with a somewhat less transparent and
non-obviously denominal sense glosses as 'to practise fellatio or
cunnilingus on'.  Fortunately, I imagine the context (even in the
absence of newspaper photos accompanying captions) will generally
make it clear which of these rather different senses is involved.

LH