apocryphal = archetypal? unbelievable?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 8 04:12:24 UTC 2010

At 10:59 PM -0500 2/7/10, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>So, Larry, you're saying that in this sentence "apocryphal" is replaceable
>by "too good to be true"?

Essentially, yes.

Here's the first sense for "apocryphal" in the OED:

Of doubtful authenticity; spurious, fictitious, false; fabulous, mythical.
a. orig. of a writing, statement, or story.

And note these two early cites, not that different in kind from
what's going on with Sgt. York, I reckon:

1678 BUTLER Hud. III. i. 492 If but one word be true..In all th'
apocryphal romance.
1868 FREEMAN Norm. Conq. II. App. 569 The tale has a somewhat apocryphal sound.

If you don't like "almost too good to be true" as a paraphrase, would
you settle for "almost mythical"? ("fabulous" in the etymological
'fable-like' sense would be even better.)

LH