Fwd: Request for help (restaurant related)

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Mon Feb 8 18:55:51 UTC 2010

Forwarded by request; note that the poster does not subscribe
to ADS-L, so any responses should presumably be cc'd to her.

Jesse Sheidlower
ADS-L

----- Forwarded message from Hanna Raskin <hannaraskin at gmail.com> -----
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 13:52:44 -0500
Subject: Request for help
From: Hanna Raskin <hannaraskin at gmail.com>
To: ADS-L-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

**
I'm researching a bit of phrasing that may or may not have a regional basis,
and am hoping someone can help. I write a waitress blog for AOL Food (
www.slashfood.com), and am developing a post about the various ways
customers place their orders. In the course of an evening, I'll typically
hear "I'll have..", "Can I get...", "You can bring me..." and "I'll
take...", among other popular formulations. I work at a restaurant in
Asheville, N.C., serving mostly tourists, so it's impossible to draw any
real conclusions (unscientific as they might be) based on my interactions.

I spoke to Joan Hall at DARE, and she suggested someone on this listserv
might have some insight. I'd greatly appreciate any information you might be
able to share.

Thanks so much!

Yours in good eats,

Hanna Raskin