Thorn

Wed Feb 10 22:11:01 UTC 2010

Actually, in OE, thorn and eth were interchangeable, although in IPA,
eth represents a voiced (inter)dental fricative as in this, that,
bathe.  Once we get into ME, eth becomes rarer, but you still get
thorn.  In the York plays, which I'm working on, there is a tendency--
not a hard-and-fast rule-- to use thorn mostly in initial position in
all the th- "pronominals", and <th> elsewhere.  Also, it's in the
North of England and Scotland that you get the kind of thorn in ME
and EModE that has an open loop and looks like a <y>.  The play
manuscripts have that one, and it's interesting that the main scribe
but nearly never as <thorn + y> , which would look like <yy>.
Evidently, he was aware of the similarity of the letters.

Paul Johnston