British Black English (was: "as such")

Lynne Murphy m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Fri Feb 12 12:00:18 UTC 2010

I was flipping through radio channels this morning (that probably isn't
idiomatic in _any_ dialect), and stopped on BBC 1Xtra, which I didn't
really know anything about.  Was listening to a conversation between DJs,
and wondered to myself  "How can I tell that this woman is black?" I
couldn't identify anything in particular, but there was no doubt in my
mind.  The man, however, I thought sounded 'white'.  As I listened on, they
said that it's the new black music radio station.  So, I've looked up the
morning crew and found that they are in fact both Black Britons--but I
still don't know what it was (must've been phonological) that I was picking
up on, since the woman's accent didn't strike me as particularly
Afro-Caribbean, just London.

You might be able to hear here (I believe that non-UK residents can hear
radio, but not watch tv on BBCiPlayer).  The two DJs are talking at about
10.55 (that's not when I was listening, but there's only so much
procrastinating I'm going to allow myself on this matter):

<http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00qnr6z>

Incidentally, there is a Wikipedia article for 'Black British'.  One of the
problems with trying to compare it to Black American is that 'black' is
much more commonly used to mean 'non-white' in the UK than in the US, so
it's a more polysemous term.  For instance, Black History Month (at least
in my part of the country) usually involves commemorating South Asian
Britons as well as African/Caribbean.  (Incidentally, it's October in the
UK, rather than Feb like in the US.

<http://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/2007/01/black-briefly.html>

Lynne

--On 11 February 2010 10:41 -0500 Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU>
wrote:

> [...]
> London, I'd hear some interesting code-switching and code-mixing
> between Cockney and Jamaican Patwa.
>
> Paul Johnston
> On Feb 11, 2010, at 7:44 AM, Damien Hall wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Damien Hall <djh514 at YORK.AC.UK>
>> Subject:      British Black English (was: "as such")
>> ---------
>>
>> Thought I'd separate this topic from Wilson's post.
>>
>> I'm not sure there _is_ such a thing as British Black English in
>> the same
>> way as we talk about American Black English / AA(V)E / etc. There is
>> certainly a way in which some black people are stereotyped as
>> talking, in
>> this country, but it's not a uniquely British Black way of talking.
>> Rather,
>> I think Wilson's hit the nail on the head in identifying the first
>> black
>> person's English he saw in a British film as sounding Caribbean.
>> You should
>> really ask an actual British black person but, as far as I can see,
>> one of
>> the most common ethnic self-identifiers for black people in this
>> country is
>> 'Afro-Caribbean' (that is, if they don't refer to themselves just as
>> 'black'). There's no British direct equivalent of 'African
>> American' - no
>> such term as 'African British'. I'm not certain about 'Black
>> British', but,
>> if it _is_ heard, it's not commonly heard.
>>
>> The Afro-Caribbean stereotype is what led to my brother being
>> mocked at
>> school when he was 16 for 'trying to talk like a black man'. They
>> meant he
>> was trying to use the Afro-Caribbean lexicon (and possibly
>> phonology?) of
>> the black people in Notting Hill / West London. Their English doesn't
>> represent that of all British black people, though, by a long chalk
>> - my
>> impression is that the English of well-educated British black
>> people is
>> (?almost) indistinguishable from that of well-educated British white
>> people.
>>
>> It may be telling that, in a lecture last week, I asked a second-
>> year-level
>> sociolinguistics class whether they could think of British ethnic
>> minorities who were linguistically distinguished from the majority
>> in the
>> same way as African Americans are. The class didn't mention British
>> black
>> people - the only British ethnic minority that they spontaneously
>> came up
>> with was British Asians (= British people of South Asian descent).
>> 'British
>> Asian' _is_ a commonly-recognised ethnic category.

>>> for one with enough table-space for us all to sit and drink. As we

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Senior Lecturer in Linguistics
Arts B357
University of Sussex