OT: ffolliott

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 14 13:55:27 UTC 2010

Forty years ago I read an interesting psychoanalytical  article about just
this phenomenon.  I don't remember much about it except that the author (a
psychiatrist, not a Freudian literary critic, which meant that he had to
know a little bit about reality) commented on what he considered the
inevitability of constant suggestiveness.

In retrospect it all may have been very foolish, but the article was
published at a time when any academic discussion of the word in question was
a) almost unheard of and  b) regarded as unwholesome.

Maybe Jesse remembers the article I'm talking about. I believe it was in the
_International Journal of Psychoanalysis_, ca 1969.

JL