a side note on twink

Alison Murie sagehen7470 at ATT.NET
Sun Feb 14 21:31:16 UTC 2010

On Feb 13, 2010, at 7:19 PM, Victor Steinbok wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Victor Steinbok <aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      a side note on twink
>
> Please forgive the longish post--at least, I deleted all the nested
> replies. (Actually, I just started a new thread.)
>
> I came across something that, I am sure, anyone who searched for Twink
> already has seen.
>
> http://bit.ly/cMVbUC
> Typographical Journal 22:2 (Feb 1903)
>
> The use of Twink here is entirely unrelated, but one has to wonder
> if it
> is not meant to be suggestive in the sense that "twink" was already in
> the vernacular at the time--just not in the meaning that came up here.
>
> The piece is a story of a daily named Twink. Well, not the entire
> story--it's just about one episode. Nonetheless, it is about the
> Twink,
> "probably the most conservative paper ever printed".
>
> [Side note: At the bottom of p. 125/1, you'll find, "Colonel Burns'
> 'phone tinkled." A bit further, there is a line, "Here's the d--d fool
> now." [single m-dash, not a double n-dash]]
>
> But this is a completely off the wall example. I can come up with
> better
> speculations than that! My point here is not so much to propose a
> specific line of derivation of the "twink" slang term, but to reject
> the
> idea that it is somehow derived from the Hostess Twinkie or even
> "twinkletoes" (although I have heard this used as a sarcastic
> euphemism
> *recently*, I doubt that the connection was made prior to
> 1963--http://bit.ly/c85Lhm). In fact, I believe, any of the derivative
> lines below are far better candidates than the artificial creampuff
> (besides, the common slur for homosexuals used to be--and still is, in
> some parts of the world--"poof", not "puff"). [There are a number of
> children's books 1893-1956 with Twinkletoes characters, not to
> mention a
> short poem by AA Milne--yes, that one] As the term is now at least
> partially derogatory, I am not afraid to trample over a couple
> cultural
> stereotypes in getting to the point. Plus, there is now a 2001 novel
> called Twink: Stories of a Young Gay Man.
>
> Going back to 1780 (http://bit.ly/9FWKJV) and 1795
> (http://bit.ly/cMVbUC) [and, of course, much further], "twink" is "the
> motion of the eye; a moment, a very short space of time" and to to
> twink
> is "to wink" (with some unidentified references to Shakespeare--I
> presume, from Tempest or from TOTS--and Chaucer--for "twinkin"). The
> same applies to "twinkle" and other variations and derivatives.
> Then, of
> course, there is the verb "twinge" (pinch, among other
> things)--although, the connection here may not be obvious--yet). In
> any
> [...]
Nina Wilcox Putnam wrote a children's book, /Winkle, Twinkle &
Lollypop/ in 1918.  The text & setting are strongly British in flavor,
but Putnam was an American.  The title refers to triplet children
having those names. Winkle & Twinkle were boys & Lollipop a girl.  No
explanation is given for the names, which I found rather off-putting
when given the book at about age 7.  The book, though rather smarmy,
isn't bad, despite the names.
AM