spurious Lincoln quotes

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 15 17:03:50 UTC 2010

1914 E. A. Ross _Publications of the American Sociological Society_ IX 131:
But how about the greater public that is not clever enough to tell gold from
dross ? How is it going to be served in the future ? Someone has amended
Lincoln's optimistic aphorism, "You can't fool all the people all of the
time," with the saying: "But you can fool enough of the people enough of the
time."

Prof. Ross, of the University of Wisconsin, had used the phrase earlier, but
this is the first instance I see in which it is explicitly said to be a
revision of Lincoln's words,

I first encountered Ross's version (unattributed of course) in the early
1980s.

JL