legendary = believe it (verificatory) or not (fabulatory)

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Feb 16 22:24:15 UTC 2010

        The OED's definition of "legendary" preserves the inherent
ambiguity in the term:  "Pertaining to or of the nature of a legend;
connected or concerned with legends; celebrated or related in legend."
So a "legendary" figure could be either one that is connected or
concerned with legends (as Alfred was) or one that is in the nature of a
legend, i.e., traditional and imaginative rather than historical (as
Alfred was not, since he was a historical figure).  (I am obviously
using the ordinary meaning of "legend," rather than Nevins's technical
sense.)

        In practice, I think that when we say "legendary figure," or
refer to someone as "legendary," we usually mean that the person is in
the nature of a legend, and not that there are legends connected with
him or her.  Something of a continuum can be seen:

        Ali Baba - A fictional character from the Arabian Nights.  Since
he is always understood not to have existed, he is not legendary.

        Prester John - A supposed powerful Christian king of the East,
he has since the 17th century been understood not to exist.  Since
previously he was thought to have been real, he still may be considered
legendary.

        Robin Hood - Nobody knows whether there was a real-life original
of this outlaw.  Certainly legendary.

        Roland - Almost certainly existed, but known almost entirely
from legendary sources, such as the Song of Roland.  Most people would
call him legendary.

        Johnny Appleseed - A historical figure, but best-known for the
legends about him.  Legendary?

        George Washington - A well-attested historical figure, known
primarily for historical incidents, although there are legends
associated with him.  Most people would not call him legendary, at least
not in the primary sense discussed here, though he may share the "famous
and beloved" sense with, say, Albert Einstein and Marilyn Monroe.

John Baker