legendary = believe it (verificatory) or not (fabulatory)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 17 14:22:30 UTC 2010

Charlie may correct me, but it seems to me that even the technical
application has changed somewhat over the last century. "Saints' legends" is
ambiguous (to me) because some saints were real, others were not. When a
real-life saint, like St. Francis, is credited with a miraculous tale, that,
according to my taxonomy, would be a "legend." When an imaginary saint, like
St. Bridget, is so credited, it's a "myth."

Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention that day, or maybe saints'
stories started out as an exception because of _The Golden Legend_.

JL