"cellar door"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 19 00:25:56 UTC 2010

IIRC, in the Mario Pei's The Story of English, _murmur_ was  chosen by
Americans as the most beautiful word in English, whereas some other
word was chosen by speakers in the UK. Or, perhaps, it was the other
way around. IAC, Pei's argument was that there is no such thing as a
"beautiful" word or a "beautiful" language, except in the perception
of the individual speaker.

-Wilson

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Shapiro, Fred" <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "cellar door"
>
> And Woody Allen in "Deconstructing Harry" said the most beautiful words in the English language were "it's benign."
>
> Fred Shapiro

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain