Back to you and I (who went to row the boat ashore)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Feb 19 01:26:34 UTC 2010

At 2/18/2010 07:32 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>I've been monitoring "between you and I" on TV for years, and I
>guaran*******tee that it's been almost as long since I've heard anybody, on
>TV or off, say "between you and me."  In fact, AFAIK, I'm the only person I
>know who stilll says "...and me" - because long ago I was taught that if I
>didn't I'd be thought to be a lamebrain.
>
>Now James and I are the lamebrains. That's irony for you.

I'm another.  (Although as a reviewer once wrote about the vampire
movie "Black Sunday", I have an irony deficiency.)  I instructed a
teen-age acquaintance to analyze this by removing the "and" and the
named person, leaving only the pronoun, and asking herself would she
still say "<preposition> I" (or as the object of a sentence)?  E.g.,
"Tom gave the book to I" will immediately sound wrong, whereas "Tom
gave the book to Jane and I" may sound OK.  Of course that can't be
applied to "between" -- can't remove the "and".  And of course the
lesson probably didn't take.

Joel