Back to you and I (who went to row the boat ashore)

Judy Prince jbalizsprince at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 19 06:36:17 UTC 2010

So you were caught out hyperurbanising, Robin.

The studies that Laurence refers to may cover some issues I'll raise.  I'd
be delighted to know about them.

You, Robin, may think that class has its wedge in the British door; hence,
your hyperurbanising by default, whereas I (not me) and some other USA
listmembers apparently cheerfully don't hyperurbanise, p'raps because, you
think, we live in a slightly less classist country.

May I experiment with you and others on the list (preferably including UK
folk)?

Which of the following sentences would you rattle off without thinking?

Group A:
1.  I and Bob won't fight.
2.  Bob and I won't fight.
3.  Bob and me won't fight.
4.  Me and Bob won't fight.

Group B:
1.  She told Bob and I.
2.  She told I and Bob.
3.  She told Bob and me.
4.  She told me and Bob.

Group C:
1.  You agree with she.
2.  You agree with her.
3.  You agree with her and me.
4.  You agree with me and her.
5.  You agree with she and I.
6.  You agree with I and she.

I've got a couple theories:  Many of us find it pretentious to put ourselves
before another person as subject [A1], but we'll allow ourselves to be the
first object because we can say "me" instead of "I"---"I" itself,
apparently, sounding too pretentious [B4].

Group C seems to be up for grabs.

Thanks for your discoveries and thoughts on this.

Judy

On 18 February 2010 21:44, Robin Hamilton <robin.hamilton2 at btinternet.com>wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Robin Hamilton <robin.hamilton2 at BTINTERNET.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Back to you and I (who went to row the boat ashore)

> I have to say that between them, James' post in response to my original
> one,
> and Jon's addition to James's, clarify a worry that was partly behind my
> original intervention late in the You and I debate --  that somewhere there
> was an assumption around this question that either there wasn't a real
> problem or that there was a clear answer to it.
>
> James' story of the encounter of the Linguist, the Young Lady, and her
> Escort perfectly illustrated, it seemed to me, the utter screw-up that
> language is in, in this area, at this moment in time, and further, how
> there
> is a problem with language at the moment when a native speaker has to worry
> about whether or not they are being grammatically correct.
>
> So the Young Lady's dilemma couldn't have better illustrated my own
> concerns.
>
> Jon's empirical data confirmed my sense that this isn't actually, when it
> comes down to it, a linguistic problem -- if Jon's data can be generalised,
> and I see no reason to doubt it, language has already decided, and decided
> in favour of you and I.
>
> Unfortunately, reality seems to be struggling to catch up with language, as
> the Young Lady exemplified in her perfectly understandable and plaintive
> doubt as to whether or not what she was saying was correct.  There is a
> problem at the moment, and there's no way round it -- maybe a register
> problem, maybe a context problem, maybe even a class problem.  When James
> concluded his earlier post with the assumption that I might have further
> data to contribute, he was too generous too me.  All I had in my head was a
> muddle of questions, and a doubt as to what I'd actually utter myself in
> this context.
>
> Then the class thing -- for some reason, I remembered the first line of  of
> a nineteenth century ballad about five young men who set out on an
> evening's
> poaching, run into the squire's keepers, are captured, tried, and
> transported.  Can't get more us-and-them than that.  It begins:
>
>            Me and five more, we all set out ...
>
> Try singing that with the grammatically correct, "I and five more" -- the
> tongue revolts.
>
> After reading James' post, and before reading Jon's, I was excitedly trying
> to describe James' anecdote to a fellow member of the list, and explain why
> I was so delighted with it, when she suddenly stopped me and said, "Did you
> hear what you just said?"
>
> I looked at her blankly -- I'd been trying to express my sense that somehow
> James and I were at least engaged with the same problem -- and couldn't for
> the life of me work out what she was on about.

> [...]

Frisky Moll Press:  http://judithprince.com/home.html

"I can't read my library card."  ---Jeff Hecker, Norfolk, VA