Back to you and I

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Feb 19 16:23:31 UTC 2010

At 2/19/2010 01:36 AM, Judy Prince wrote:
>Which of the following sentences would you rattle off without thinking?

You're asking us to think about what we would say without
thinking?  I think I can't do that.  But I can respond after thinking:

>Group A:
>1.  I and Bob won't fight.
           Only if I started out "I ..." -- thinking a sentence like,
e.g., "I won't fight Bob" -- and then altered the rest.
>2.  Bob and I won't fight.           Yes
>3.  Bob and me won't fight.
>4.  Me and Bob won't fight.
>
>Group B:
>1.  She told Bob and I.
>2.  She told I and Bob.
>3.  She told Bob and me.            Yes.
>4.  She told me and Bob.
>
>Group C:
>1.  You agree with she.
>2.  You agree with her.               Yes
>3.  You agree with her and me.   Yes
>4.  You agree with me and her.   Yes, but less frequently
>5.  You agree with she and I.
>6.  You agree with I and she.
           Have you omitted the following?  Math tells me there are 8
possibilities.
7.    You agree with her and I.   This seems frequent, but not mine.
8.    You agree with I and her.
9.    You agree with she and me.
10.  You agree with me and she.

But then I've been told my speech is pretentious.
Joel
U.S.A., New York City bred.