Back to you and I

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Feb 19 16:38:25 UTC 2010

At 2/18/2010 09:08 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
>I wonder how it came to be that people think that "NP and I" is
>*always" correct, whereas "NP and me" is *never* correct.

This has reminded me that I meant to say something earlier:  There
are two phenomena -- subjective pronouns where the objective is
"grammatical", as in Judy Prince's array; and objective pronouns
where the subjective is "grammatical", as in  "Me and my shadow" and Wilson's
>When I was in my all-black grade school, we used "you and me" and
>"me and you" interchangeably and *never* "you and I," ...

Are there different factors, patterns or regions of occurrence, etc.?

Joel