nomconjobjs: between you and me/I

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Mon Feb 22 05:32:00 UTC 2010

back in this thread, Jon Lighter claimed that "between you and I" had
virtually replaced "between you and me" (at least in certain
contexts).  this is wildly exaggerated, but there's a point here.

google searches on {"just between you and me"} and {"just between you
and I"] shows substantial numbers for both, but the second outnumbers
the first -- by a factor of 4.4 in raw hits, by a factor of 1.44 in a
"reduced" search.  (both occur in song titles, by the way.)

the number of hits for the second is jacked yp -- it's hard to tell
how much -- by a large number of *complaints* about "between you and i".

so, "between you and me" isn't really threatened, but "between you and
I" seems to be well-established in informal english.

arnold