non-paternity event

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 22 07:47:15 UTC 2010

Larry wrote,

"... fore-day ..."

Would you believe that I've seen that (mis)represented as "four-day"?
Of course, it may be that a creep is simply more time-consuming for an
infant.

-Wilson, who, like his late namesake, Wilson Pickett, can no longer brag:

"I'm a midnight creeper
"All-day sleeper"

P.S. Well, I'm still an all-day sleeper. -W.

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 8:35 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: non-paternity event
>
> At 8:25 PM -0500 2/21/10, George Thompson wrote:
>>"Midnight creep" wasn't a part of the idiom that
>>I learned at my mother's knee.  I know it, and
>>"'fore-day creep", from some old-time blues
>>records, I couldn't say which ones.  I would
>>interpret "midnight creep" as the act of
>>sneaking into an of-limits bed, and "'fore-day
>>creep" as the act of sneaking back out again.
>>But that's probably my rationalization rather
>>than traditional use.
>>
>>Why isn't this called a "non-connubial event"?
>>Paternity does occur, after all.
>>
>>GAT
>
> And according to my dialectological sources
> (although not my own childhood or parenthood
> memories), the results of all this paternity
> and/or non-paternity midnight creeping, at least
> in the northeast, is...more creeping.  Babies on
> this side of the relevant isogloss are reputed to
> "creep" rather than "crawl", at midnight,
> fore-day, and all times in between.
>
> LH
>

>>George A. Thompson
>>Author of A Documentary History of "The African
>>Theatre", Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998, but
>>nothing much lately.

–––
–Mark Twain