nomconjobjs: between you and me/I (UNCLASSIFIED)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 22 19:28:40 UTC 2010

You *can* say it, but how often does this appear in practice.
Personally, I have never seen anyone actually interpret "by a factor of"
with any other combination of verbs and adjectives as anything but
multiplication/division. This is not the same as x%, where the percent
defines relative increase or decrease, virtually by
definition--something that rises 100% actually doubles. It would make no
sense to use "rise" if it were not a question of difference. Similarly,
consider the extreme case here. By your interpretation, A can
"outnumber" B "by a factor of" 1. I simply fail to see this as a
possibility. Despite having graded hundreds (thousands?) of often inept
math students, I am yet to encounter such an interpretation in live
practice (as opposed to an academic discourse of "possible"
interpretations). Just as "percent" blocks ratios/factors (at least
mathematically--not talking about novice misinterpretation), so should
"factor" block any use of differences. My claim is essentially that not
only /should/ it block, but it actually does so far stronger than
percent blocks ratios (students make that mistake all the time).

My initial response to Tom had a typo--the keyboard is "sticking" a bit
and I wrote 40 instead of 440--usually I catch the omissions, but it's
harder with numbers. My response was also slightly misdirected (mea
culpa, in this case) as I was unnecessarily impatient with Tom's query.

     VS-)