COCA Corpus of Contemporary American English (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Feb 22 23:12:35 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

---------------
> --------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      COCA Corpus of Contemporary American English

> --------
>
> Thanks for the COCA site edress
>
> http://www.americancorpus.org/
>
> This site has a word frequency list of the most popular 5k words in
> English.  I wonder where the words are from - newspapers? internet?.

The home page for the site says right there: " The corpus contains more
than 400 million words of text and is equally divided among spoken,
fiction, popular magazines, newspapers, and academic texts."