Leatherneck [Was: antedating: jarhead]

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 24 00:23:36 UTC 2010

I suspect that Kipling's use of _leatherneck_ in his 1903 story (reprinted
in at least one U.S. magazine) influenced American usage of the word. At the
time, Kipling was very probably the most popular short-story writer in the
English-speaking world.

The first evidently independent U.S. ex. in HDAS is from 1908.

Though the Marines garnered additional fame during the Spanish-American War
of 1898, I have never seen the word used in that context - or in any
American context before the reprinting of Kipling's story. By 1918, however,
it was in general use.

JL