MWDEU

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Wed Feb 24 14:29:02 UTC 2010

I have a secret, ulterior purpose in my composition class. One reason
that I'm using the nebulous topic of language in my reading and
writing assignments is to arm them when they encounter the
prescriptivists not just in my department, but elsewhere on campus.
There's one particular pompous blowhard bio professor who is the most
notorious. I've actually had him tell me about how he has to
"unteach" the students what they've learned in their composition
classes. I want the students to realize that they may not win the
battle because of the student-teacher power relationship, but that
they can find out the truth of the matter.

---Amy West