"outchance"

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 25 07:17:40 UTC 2010

I just heard it today in a soccer/football broadcast as well, with the
same meaning--the team that created the most scoring chances
"outchanced" the other but could not score and win the game. But there
are no news links with soccer use.

On the other hand, this is different from a stray GB hit.

http://bit.ly/bTAPjw
The journey's echo, selections; by Freya Stark, 1964, p. 192
[verified in WorldCat as 1st American edition]
> One's sympathy, I reflected, is nearly always tinged with exasperation
> in the 'old world' of Asia : because it is outside our philosophy,
> doomed to failure in an incompatible world in which it is inefficient
> and hopelessly outchanced.

There are also a couple of GB hits where "outchance", n., simply means
"unlikely event"--in both cases it's used with "even": "Even on/in the
outchance that X, there would still be Y." Perhaps the is just a
variation of "on the out chance" (5 GB hits, all with the same meaning),
which is just a variant of "on the off chance".

I've also encountered an odd phenomenon--searching GB for {outchance}
produced 700+ raw hits, all noise. Searching for {"outchance"} resulted
in 4 raw hits (one real, one OCR error). This is rather bizarre behavior
for a search engine and a completely new (to me) idiosyncrasy of the GB
engine.

A truly odd one comes, of course, from hockey (and the lone GN hit for
{"outchance"}):

http://bit.ly/bCI21x
Big win for the Phantoms, Glenn Falls Post-Star, February 6, 2010 1:30 am
> The Phantoms had lost three one-goal games in the last week despite
> outscoring and outchancing their opponents. Friday, they led not just
> in shots, but on the scoreboard.

I don't know how one can outscore, lead on the scoreboard and still lose
the game. Well, the mystery of the scoreboard is solved easily--it was
in the fourth game (which the team won). But the mystery of "outscoring"
remains.

> “It was a big win for us. The guys battled hard to a man,” Adirondack
> coach Greg Gilbert said. “We did outchance them, we outshot them, but
> still if we can bury a couple more — we’re getting Grade-A chances and
> not finishing. If we can than maybe it will be a little more than a
> one-goal game.”

A more interesting search result was for {"outchanced" -hockey -puck},
which reduced the number of hits from 213 raw (48 actual, but with three
current-story clusters that number in thousands--all because of a Team
USA GM quote) to 2, but both remaining ones still referred to hockey games.

There are plenty more references in the archives, but _current news_ is
only about hockey.

VS-)