What is winter? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Eoin C. Bairéad ebairead at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 25 11:34:37 UTC 2010

Hi

Mairéad comes from a name that probably originally meant Pearl.
Barrett/Bairéad are slightly more problematic.

The first names of the immediately family of Jesus had Irish versions from
the earlyt Christian period in Ireland - probably as far back as the 6th
century. These were
Íosa, Muire, Iosaif and Eoin. They were not used as personal names, and that
is true today for the first three, with the later Anglo-Norman names
becoming the Máire (Maura), Seosamh and Seán common today.
Then, some time in the late Middle Ages Eoin once again became used.

Eoin