Quote: Everything should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler (UNCLASSIFIED)

Thu Feb 25 19:26:05 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

A couple of other useful terms when doing "date probes" (I like that
name, Garson) in Google Books are "copyright", and when searching Govt
documents, "fiscal year".

---------------

http://books.google.com/books?id=sBPfUsOE7QcC&q=Einstein#v=snippet&q=Ei

<aardvark66 at gmail.com>
-------------
> ----------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Victor Steinbok <aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      Re: Quote: Everything should be as simple as it can
be,
> but not
> >              simpler (antedating attrib Albert Einstein 1950)

> ----------
> >
> > A couple of VERY minor points that in no way detract from Garson's
> work.
> >
> > Another reprint of Zukovsky's essays dates the same passage (or, at
> > least, that particular part of the essay) to 1948 and it looks like
> > letter to WCW that's published as an essay--or perhaps the editor
> just
> > made it appear that way. Perhaps both are wrong--I found this
snippet
> > that GB dates to 1949
> > http://bit.ly/bhiHSd
> > It is unquestionably the same excerpt and it in the journal Poetry,
> so
> > it seems to be the right place. Should be verified.
> >
> > There is a parallel quotation from William Saroyan (1964,
> apparently):
> >
> >> The matter of style is one that always excites controversy, but to
> me
> >> it's as simple as A B C, if not simpler.
> >
> > No, I am not suggesting the two are in any way related. In fact,
this
> > turn of phrase is quite common.
> >
> > As for the original quotation, there is an interesting Dore Ashton
> > version (apparently from 1972 Studio International):
> >
> >> Everything should be as simple as it _is_, but not simpler.
> >
> > Ashton credits someone else attributing the line to Einstein. (Can't
> > tell who the intermediary is from the snippets.) In fact, the same
> > version appears in a couple of other sources (1965 and 1971) but I
> could
> > not identify or verify them.
> >
> > The version "as simple as possible" appears in some intermediary
> > publications--in 1969 by Jonathan Williams and again several times
in
> > the 1970s, but it seems to be the version that is most commonly used
> > today--George Will seems to have opened this can of worms on Mar.
18,
> > 1982. But the NYT had the same version nearly a month earlier (free
> > version here: http://bit.ly/baCFHZ) in a story about an 18 year old
> > Rhodes scholar. Only a year earlier, Time put out a Newswatch column
> by
> > Thomas Griffith (Apr. 27, 1981) that used "as it can be" version. So
> > both coexisted for some time, perhaps even on mass-produced posters
> > (that seems to be the most likely possibility for an 18-year old to
> have
> > pinned it on her wall).
> >
> > VS-)
> >
> > On 2/25/2010 1:21 AM, Garson O'Toole wrote:
> >> Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
> >>
> >> This saying (and variants) are usually attributed to Albert
> Einstein.
> >> The Yale Book of Quotations has the earliest attribution and it is
> >> dated 1972. YBQ also states "No source has been traced for this
> >> quotation, which sometimes takes the form 'A theory should be made
> >> '"
> >>
> >> The Oxford Dictionary of American Quotations (2008) has an
> attribution
> >> to Einstein in 1977 and says "The original source of this
oft-quoted
> >> remark has not been found despite much searching." The Oxford
> >> Dictionary of Scientific Quotations (2006) has it without a date.
> >>
> >> In 1950 the prominent modernist poet Louis Zukofsky writing in the
> >> journal Poetry attributed a version of the aphorism to Albert
> >> Einstein. The quote appears in a review by Zukofsky of the volume
> >> William Carlos Williams by Vivienne Koch (The Makers of Modern
> >> Literature Series). This is the earliest citation I have located.
> >>
> >> Citation: 1950 June, Poetry, Reviews section, Poetry in a Modern
Age

http://books.google.com/books?id=GQEKAAAAIAAJ&q=minted#search_anchor

http://books.google.com/books?id=1GvlVBB8soEC&q=Einstein#v=snippet&q=Ei