push comes to shove (1924)

Fri Feb 26 22:00:28 UTC 2010

The following cite is later than Victor's great 1873 cite for the
essay about Push and Pull by of Rev T De Witt Talmadge, but I think it
is still useful because it presents evidence for the wider
dissemination of the essay in a time frame closer to the wonderful
1897-1898 cites of Bill Mullins.

Citation: January 1889, Frank Leslie's Sunday magazine, The Firm of
Push & Pull by Rev T De Witt Talmadge, Page 14, Frank Leslie.

The proposed improvement is about to fail, when Push comes up behind
it and gives it a shove, and Pull goes in front and lays into the
traces; and, lo! the enterprise advances, the goal is reached!

http://books.google.com/books?id=cuYRAAAAYAAJ&q=%22posh+comes%22#v=snippet&q=%22posh%20comes%22&f=false

Garson