Antedating of "Tsunami"

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 28 20:18:40 UTC 2010

It's also in Historical American Newspapers which I can now browse at
leisure, thanks to BPL access. The full citation is vol. 135:26, p. 25/1
(the first page of Sunday Magazine)

Incredibly, none of the PQ papers
(Hartford/WaPo/NYT/ChiTrib/LAT/AtlantaJC/BosG) have any accessible XIXth
century citations of "tsunami", aside from a possible hit in Atlanta
Constitution in 1897. But this is only American sources. Would there not
be something in British publications in mid- to late century? I am also
surprised there is nothing earlier, in connection with Krakatoa (under
any spelling) but I am still investigating this possibility.

In the meantime, I'd like to nominate "tsunami" as the most
over-interpreted word in OCR. There are hits going back to the
seventeenth century in both newspapers and GB, but, aside from the ones
already cited, all are false readings, except for a couple that are
incorrectly dated by GB (one, dated to 1863, is actually from 2009). I
am yet to see anything like this. For some of these "tsunami" is not
even a stretch--it simply does not fit the actual image.

     VS-)