"gun play"?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 2 00:47:44 UTC 2010

"Ass bandit" is in HDAS fom 1954, originally an Americanism in a
heterosexual sense.

The novelistic source purports to reproduce teenage usage of the mid 1940s.

The relevant horseplay term "grab-ass" is well attested retroactively to
World War II. Before mid-century, such a term was unlikely to get into print
unless exceedingly common.  Early exx. of "play grab-ass" allude to the
Marine Corps, perh. esp. at Camp Pendleton, Calif.

JL