Fictional Materials for OED

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sat Jan 2 23:23:34 UTC 2010

I have previously suggested that OED should have entries for "kryptonite" (Superman), the spice "melange" (Dune) and "ice-nine" (Cat's Cradle).  No one seemed particularly to agree with me, as I remember.

I am inspired to return to this topic by noticing that Wikipedia has an article, "List of Fictional Elements, Materials, Isotopes and Atomic Particles."  This list supplies me with some additional candidates:

adamantium (Wolverine)
carbonite (The Empire Strikes Back)
dilithium (Star Trek)

After its use in the film Avatar, "unobtanium" may also merit OED inclusion.

Fred Shapiro