"quorum" -- early 19th C children's game

Mon Jan 4 02:59:15 UTC 2010

Here's the name of a children's game, not in the OED.  I only have the first 2 vols. of DARE.

        SPORTS IN HONOLULU.   ***  There's good old bat and ball, just the same as when we ran from the school-house to the "Common" to exercise our skill that way; and then there is something which looks much like "quorum," and "tag" too, though what is the Hawaiian for it we know not.
        The Polynesian, December 26, 1840, p. 114 [p. 2], col. 3  [likely written by the editor, James Jackson Jarves, born in Boston in 1818; entry in the American National Biography]

I don't know what the nature of the game might have been.

GAT

George A. Thompson