"take a stump"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon Jan 4 04:02:50 UTC 2010

--

In fact "take a stump" apparently was used either way, = "accept a
dare/challenge" OR = "refuse/fail a dare/challenge". One can see several

I suppose the noun "stump" = "dare/challenge" corresponds to the verb
"stump" which means both "dare/challenge" and "confound" (e.g.," stump
the experts") which latter perhaps can be understood as "_successfully_
challenge". Then "take a stump" could be taken as "accept a
challenge/dare" _or_ "accept a stumping" = "be confounded".

-- Doug Wilson